SYNOPSISautom4te [OPTION] ... [FILES]
DESCRIPTIONRun GNU M4 on the FILES, avoiding useless runs. Output the traces if tracing, the frozen file if freezing, otherwise the expansion of the FILES.
If some of the FILES are named `FILE.m4f' they are considered to be M4 frozen files of all the previous files (which are therefore not loaded). If `FILE.m4f' is not found, then `FILE.m4' will be used, together with all the previous files.
Some files may be optional, i.e., will only be processed if found in the include path, but then must end in `.m4?'; the question mark is not part of the actual file name.
- -h, --help
- print this help, then exit
- -V, --version
- print version number, then exit
- -v, --verbose
- verbosely report processing
- -d, --debug
- don't remove temporary files
- -o, --output=FILE
- save output in FILE (defaults to `-', stdout)
- -f, --force
- don't rely on cached values
- -W, --warnings=CATEGORY
- report the warnings falling in CATEGORY
- -l, --language=LANG
- specify the set of M4 macros to use
- -C, --cache=DIRECTORY
- preserve results for future runs in DIRECTORY
- disable the cache
- -m, --mode=OCTAL
- change the non trace output file mode (0666)
- -M, --melt
- don't use M4 frozen files
- create Autoconf configure scripts
- create Autotest test suites
- create M4sh shell scripts
- create M4sugar output
Warning categories include:
- cross compilation issues
- GNU coding standards (default in gnu and gnits modes)
- obsolete features or constructions
- user redefinitions of Automake rules or variables
- portability issues
- dubious syntactic constructs (default)
- unsupported or incomplete features (default)
- all the warnings
- turn off warnings in CATEGORY
- turn off all the warnings
- treat warnings as errors
The environment variable `WARNINGS' is honored.
- -B, --prepend-include=DIR
- prepend directory DIR to search path
- -I, --include=DIR
- append directory DIR to search path
- -t, --trace=MACRO
- report the MACRO invocations
- -p, --preselect=MACRO
- prepare to trace MACRO in a future run
- -F, --freeze
- produce an M4 frozen state file for FILES
AUTHORWritten by Akim Demaille.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <[email protected]>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.