SYNOPSISnetrek-client-cow [options] [display-name]
DESCRIPTIONThis is a client for the multi-player game of Netrek.
Netrek is the probably the first video game which can accurately be described as a "sport." It has more in common with basketball than with arcade games or Quake. Its vast and expanding array of tactics and strategies allows for many different play styles; the best players are the ones who think fastest, not necessarily the ones who twitch most effectively. It can be enjoyed as a twitch game, since the dogfighting system is extremely robust, but the things that really set Netrek apart from other video games are the team and strategic aspects. Team play is dynamic and varied, with roles constantly changing as the game state changes. Strategic play is explored in organized league games; after 6+ years of league play, strategies are still being invented and refined.
The game was created in 1988, and still has players, including some people who have been playing for nearly as long as the game has existed.
To start the client program, run netrek-client-cow, and a list of servers will be displayed.
- [-h servername]
- Bypasses the server list and connects directly to a specific server.
- [-p port number]
- Specify a port to connect to, the default is 2592.
- [-r defaultsfile]
- Specify a defaults file containing cusstom settings. See XTREKRC.
- [-s socketnum]
- Specify listen socket port for manual start, used in debugging.
- Show usage
- Automatic login, character password
- Automatic login, character name
- ignore SIGSEGV and SIGBUS
- [-U port]
- Specify client UDP or TCP port (useful for some firewalls)
- use old-style binary verification)
- use RSA binary verification
- Log server packets, repeat for increased information
- to just do ck_players on the server
- [-f filename]
- Record game into 'filename'
- [-F filename]
- Plays the recorded game from 'filename'
- [-l filename]
- Record messages into 'filename'
- list servers, using UDP/IP to multiple metaservers
- list servers, using TCP/IP to single metaserver
- list servers from cache generated by -M
- use nearest colors in shared colormap
- upgrade to Latest version (requires running netscape)
- Version info and release notes (requires running netscape)
- submit a Bug report (requires running netscape)
- display client version info
AUTHORSPartial list of authors Chris Guthrie, Kevin P. Smith, Scott Silvey, Eric mehlhaff, Kevin Powell, Nick Trown, Jeff Nelson, Kurt Siegl, Lars Bernhardsson, Nathan Doss, Michael Kantner, Dave Ahn, James Cameron, and Bob Tanner.
- If your name is missing, please contact [email protected]
REPORTING BUGSSend mail to [email protected] ... best if you subscribe first. Or contact [email protected] directly.
COPYRIGHTCopyright notifications from the source code:
Copyright © 1986 Chris Guthrie
Copyright © 1989 Kevin P. Smith, Scott Silvey
Copyright © 1991 Eric mehlhaff
Copyright © 1993 Kevin Powell, Nick Trown, Jeff Nelson, Kurt Siegl
Copyright © 1993,1996 Lars Bernhardsson
Copyright © 1994 Nathan Doss, Michael Kantner
Please contact [email protected] if your name is missing from this list!