SYNOPSISgeoipupdate [-Vvh] [-f license_file] [-d target_directory]
geoipupdate automatically updates GeoIP2 and GeoIP Legacy databases for MaxMind customers. The program connects to the MaxMind GeoIP Update server to check for new databases. If a new database is available, the program will download and install it.
If you are using a firewall, you must have the DNS and HTTP(S) ports open.
- Display version information.
- Enable verbose mode. Prints out the steps that geoipupdate takes.
- Install databases to a custom directory. By default geoipupdate installs to /var/lib/GeoIP.
- Use an alternate configuration file. Defaults to /etc/GeoIP.conf.
USAGETypically you should run geoipupdate weekly. One way to achieve this is to use cron. Below is a sample crontab file that runs geoipupdate on each Wednesday at noon:
# top of crontab
0 12 * * 3 BIN_DIR/geoipupdate
# end of crontab
To use with a proxy server, update your GeoIP.conf file as specified in the GeoIP.conf man page or set the http_proxy environment variable.
RETURN CODESgeoipupdate returns 0 on success and 1 on error.
- Configuration file for GeoIP Update. See the GeoIP.conf(5) man page for more information.
AUTHORWritten by T.J. Mather and Boris Zentner.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <[email protected]>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright (C) 2013 MaxMind, Inc.
This is free software; see the LICENSE file for copying conditions. There is NO WARRANTY, express or implied, including, but not limited to, NO IMPLIED WARRANTY of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.