SYNOPSIS$PCP_BINADM_DIR/mkaf [findopts] filename ...
DESCRIPTIONA collection of one or more Performance Co-Pilot (see PCPIntro(1)) archive logs may be combined with mkaf to produce a PCP archive folio and the associated archive folio control file. Some PCP tools use mkaf to create archive folios, e.g. the ``record'' facility in the pmchart(1) and pmview(1) tools, to facilitate playback with pmafm(1).
mkaf processes each filename argument, and if this is a component file from a PCP archive that archive is added to the folio.
If filename is a directory, then this is searched recursively using find(1). Any filename argument beginning with a ``-'' is assumed to be a find(1) command line option (findopts); the default is -follow if no findopts are specified.
The first named archive in the folio is assumed to be associated with the default host for any tool that tries to replay multiple archives from the folio.
The folio control file is written to standard output, and has the following format.
- The first line contains the word PCPFolio.
- The second line contains the tag Version: followed by the format version number (currently 1).
- For subsequent lines, blank lines and lines beginning with ``#'' are ignored.
- The line beginning with the tag Created: documents where and when the folio was created.
- The line beginning with the tag Creator: identifies the tool which created the folio (and is assumed to know how to replay the archive folio). If present, the second argument is the name of a configuration file that the creator tool could use to replay the archive folio, e.g. with the replay command for pmafm(1). In the case of mkaf (unlike pmchart(1) or pmview(1)) there is no knowledge of the contents of the archives, so the ``creator'' cannot replay the archive, however pmchart(1) is able to replay any archive, and so this tool is identified as the Creator: for archive folios created by mkaf(1).
- This is then followed by one or more lines beginning with the tag Archive: followed by the hostname and base name of the archive.
$ mkaf mydir/gonzo
might produce the following folio control file.
PCPFolio Version: 1 # use pmafm(1) to process this PCP archive folio # Created: on gonzo at Tue Jul 2 03:35:54 EST 1996 Creator: pmchart # Host Basename # Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960627 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960628 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960629 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960630 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960701 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960701.00.10 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960701.05.25 Archive: gonzo mydir/gonzo/960702.00.10
PCP ENVIRONMENTEnvironment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configuration file, as described in pcp.conf(5).
DIAGNOSTICSSome informational messages, warnings and pathological conditions are reported on standard error.