SYNOPSISshpcreate shp_file [point|arc|polygon|multipoint]
DESCRIPTIONCreates an empty shapefile supporting shapes of the given type. Shapefiles actually consist of two files with the same basename and extensions .shp and .shx (or .SHP and .SHX) containing the shape data and shape index respectively. The files to create are determined by first stripping any filename extension from shp_file and attempting to create the files shp_file.shp or shp_file.SHP, and shp_file.shx or shp_file.SHX for the respective data and index files. The supported values for the shapetype argument are: point, arc, polygon, and multipoint.
- the name of the shapefile to be created. Doesn't need the extension
- the type of shapefile that you wish to create. Must specify a valid option.
EXAMPLEshpcreate testpolygon polygon
this will create a polygon shapefile named testpolygon (in fact testpolygon.shp and testpolygon.shx will be created).
- Successful program execution.
- Missing shp_file or shapetype argument.
- Unknown shapetype.
- Unable to create the shapefile.
DIAGNOSTICSThe following diagnostics may be issued on stdout:
Shape Type `shapetype' not recognised.
Unable to create:shp_file