speedometer [options] tap [[-c] tap] ...
DESCRIPTIONMonitor network traffic or speed/progress of a file transfer. At least one tap option (-f, -rx, -tx) must be entered. Option -c starts a new column, otherwise taps are piled vertically.
Note: before you use the program, satrt generating traffic by transferring files in/out e.g. with scp(1) in the network you're measuring.
- Use old blocky display instead of smoothed display even when UTF-8 encoding is detected.
- -f filename [size]
- Display download speed with progress bar. This option must be used if directly following another file tap without an expected size specified.
- -i interval
- Interval in seconds. Examples: 5 or 0.25". Default is 1.
- Use plain-text display (one tap only).
- -rx iface
- Display bytes received on network interface.
- -tx iface
- Display bytes transmitted on network interface.
- Report zero size on files that don't exist instead of waiting for them to be created
How long it will take for my 38MB transfer to finish?
speedometer favorite_episode.rm $(( 38 * 1024 * 1024 ))
How quickly is another transfer going?
How fast is this LAN?
host-a$ cat /dev/zero | nc -l -p 12345 host-b$ nc host-a 12345 > /dev/null host-b$ speedometer -rx eth0
How fast is the upstream on this ADSL line?
speedometer -tx ppp0
How fast can I write data to my filesystem? (with at least 1GB free)
dd bs=1000000 count=1000 if=/dev/zero of=bigfile & speedometer bigfile