DESCRIPTIONXMMS2 is a redesign of the XMMS (http://www.xmms.org) music player. It features a client-server model, allowing multiple (even simultaneous!) user interfaces, both textual and graphical. All common audio formats are supported using plugins. On top of this, there is a flexible media library to organize your music.
xmms2-et is the ET Phone Home Client for XMMS2. xmms2-et is designed to transmit a packet of information to the XMMS2 team whenever a new song is played. The packet is anonymous and does not contain metadata about the song being played. The specifics of what data is transmitted to the XMMS2 team can be found in the ET PACKET section of this manual page.
xmms2-et is used for release engineering by the XMMS2 team. During a release cycle, the usage of various plugins, operating systems, and XMMS2 components is collected from data transmitted by the xmms2-et client. A release is made when sufficient testing has occured as determined by the number of related xmms2-et packets that the XMMS2 team has received.
ET PACKETThe following data is transmitted with every packet transmitted by xmms2-et:
- XMMS2-ET status
- Begins XMMS2-ET packets; status gives a descriptive message denoting what this packet is about. (e.g. Clean shutdown, Unclean shutdown, New media)
- contains the version of the XMMS2 daemon
- contains the name and release of the operating system on which xmms2d is running
- contains the output plugin being used to playback audio by xmms2d
- contains the time at which the xmms2-et client was started
- contains the uptime of the xmms2-et client
- contains the number of times a playlist has been loaded from the Media Library
- contains the number of times that metadata has been resolved for media in the Media Library
The following data is different for each song being played:
- contains the decoder plugin used to playback the last played song
- contains the transport plugin used to read the last played song
- contains the sample format of the original audio file of the last played song
- contains the sample format that was sent to the output plugin for the last played song
- contains the sample rate of the original audio file of the last played song
- contains the sample rate that was sent to the output plugin for the last played song
- contains the number of channels of the original audio file of the last played song
- contains the number of channels that were sent to the output plugin for the last played song
The URL path to
for details of possible values for this variable
HISTORYThe XMMS2 Project was started by Tobias Rundström and Anders Gustafsson. It is developed with their lead by a small group of contributers from all over the world.
AUTHORThis manual page was written by Alexander Botero-Lowry <[email protected]>