- yaz-icu [-c config] [-p opt] [-s] [-x] [infile]
The utility can be used in two ways. It may read some text using an XML configuration for configuring ICU and show text analysis. This mode is triggered by option -c which specififies the configuration to be used. The input file is read from standard input or from a file if infile is specified.
The utility may also show ICU information. This is triggered by option -p.
- Specifies the file containing ICU chain configuration which is XML based.
- Specifies extra information to be printed about the ICU system. If type is c then ICU converters are printed. If type is l available locales are printed. If type is t available transliterators are printed.
- Specifies that output should include sort key as well. Note that sort key differs between ICU versions.
- Specifies that output should be XML based rather than "text" based.
ICU CHAIN CONFIGURATION
The ICU chain configuration speicifies one or more rules to convert text data into tokens. The configuration format is XML based.
The toplevel element must be named icu_chain. The icu_chain element has one required attribute locale which specifies the ICU locale to be used in the conversion steps.
The icu_chain element must include elements where each element specifies a conversion step. The conversion is performed in the order in which the conversion steps are specified. Each conversion element takes one attribute: rule which serves as argument to the conversion step.
The following conversion elements are available:
Converts case and rule specifies how:
- Lowercase using ICU function u_strToLower.
- Upper case using ICU function u_strToUpper.
- To title using UCU function u_strToTitle.
- Fold case using ICU function u_strFoldCase.
- This is a meta step which specifies that a term/token is to be displayed. This term is retrieved in an application using function icu_chain_token_display (yaz/icu.h).
- Specifies an ICU transform rule using a transliterator Identifier. The rule attribute is the transliterator Identifier. See m[blue]ICU Transformsm for more information.
- Specifies a rule-based transliterator. The rule attribute is the custom transformation rule to be used. See m[blue]ICU Transformsm for more information.
Breaks / tokenizes a string into components using ICU functions ubrk_open, ubrk_setText, .. . The rule is one of:
- Line. ICU: UBRK_LINE.
- Sentence. ICU: UBRK_SENTENCE.
- Word. ICU: UBRK_WORD.
- Character. ICU: UBRK_CHARACTER.
- Title. ICU: UBRK_TITLE.
The following command analyzes text in file text using ICU chain configuration chain.xml:
cat text | yaz-icu -c chain.xml
The chain.xml might look as follows:
<icu_chain locale="en"> <transform rule="[:Control:] Any-Remove"/> <tokenize rule="w"/> <transform rule="[[:WhiteSpace:][:Punctuation:]] Remove"/> <transliterate rule="xy > z"/> <display/> <casemap rule="l"/> </icu_chain>
- ICU Transforms