SYNOPSISapplypatch [ options ] patch-kit
DESCRIPTIONApplypatch applies a patch kit as generated by the makepatch program. It performs the following actions:
- First, it will extensively verify that the patch kit is complete and did not get corrupted during transfer.
Then it will apply some heuristics to verify that the directory in
which the patch will be applied does indeed contain the expected
If a corruption or verification error is detected, applypatch exits without making changes.
- If the kit is okay, and the directory seems to be the right one: it creates new files and directories as necessary.
- Then it runs the patch program to apply the patch to the source files.
- Upon completion, obsolete files, directories and .orig files are removed, file modes of new files are set, and the timestamps of all patched files are adjusted.
Applypatch argumentsApplypatch takes one argument, the name of the patch kit as generated by makepatch. If no name is specified, the patch kit is read from standard input.
Applypatch optionsOptions are matched case insensitive, and may be abbreviated to uniqueness.
- -directory dir
- The name of the source directory to be patched.
- Perform the checks on the patch kit and patch directory, but do not make any changes.
- Force continuation of the patch process even when corruption or verification errors are detected. This is very dangerous!
- Do not remove patch backup files (with extension ".orig") upon completion.
- -patch cmd
- The patch command to be used. Default is ""patch -p0 -N"``. Additionally, a ''"-s"" will be added unless option -verbose was specified.
- This option will cause applypatch and the patch program to emit verbose progress information.
- This option will cause applypatch and the patch program to emit no progress information, only error messages.
- The suffix used by (some versions of?) patch to back up the originals of patched files. Upon completion, these files are removed by applypatch unless the option -retain was specified. Default value if "".orig"".
AUTHOR AND CREDITSThis program is written by Johan Vromans <[email protected]>.
See section AUTHOR AND CREDITS of the makepatch program for an extensive list of people that helped one way or another in the makepatch / applypatch project.
COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMERThis program is Copyright 1992,1999,2006 by Squirrel Consultancy. All rights reserved.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either: a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any later version, or b) the ``Artistic License'' which comes with Perl.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License for more details.