DESCRIPTIONThis script converts each line in a BIND8 named log to a dnszone dlf record. It is tested using Bind 8.2 logs. We're not aware of any changes in the logging format in any Bind 8.* version, we expect any bind 8.* log to get processed fine by this script.
The following lines are recognized:
- approved/denied AXFR requests
- completed zone transfers
- loaded master and slave zones
- denied dynamic DNS updates
DLF formatThe DLF format of the dnszone superservice is
- Name of the DNS server
- Timestamp for the request
- IP address of the host requesting the AXFR
- Name of the zone being requested
- approved, denied or axfr
- Name of the zone just loaded
- Serial of the zone just loaded
- master or slave
- IP address of the host requesting the update
- Name of the zone being updated
Due to the nature of the different meanings of the lines in the logfile (not every line has both a AXFR-request, loaded a zone and gotten an update request), one or more fields can be replaced by a 0 or a -. These fields are automaticly filtered out for the different kind of reports.
Example of DLF lines are:
- AXFR approved
- tim 1026644876 10.10.10.1 algron.com approved - 0 - - -
- update denied
- tim 1026645567 - - - - 0 - 10.in-addr.arpa 10.199.16.218
- master zone loaded
- tim 1026525210 - - - nigelbowen.com.au 2002071301 master - -
EXAMPLESTo process a log as produced by bind8:
$ bind8_named2dlf < named-log
bind8_named2dlf will be rarely used on its own, but is more likely called by lr_log2report:
$ lr_log2report bind8_named < /var/log/named
VERSION$Id: bind8_named2dlf.in,v 1.7 2004/10/13 10:17:27 vanbaal Exp $
COPYRIGHTCopyright (C) 2002 Edwin Groothuis <[email protected]>
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. The name of the copyright holder may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
AUTHOREdwin Groothuis <[email protected]>