pip-2.6 [command] [options]
pip is an alternative Python package installer. It performs the same basic job as easy_install, but with some extra features. It can work with version control repositories (currently only Git, Mercurial, and Bazaar repositories), logs output extensively, and prevents partial installs by downloading all requirements before starting installation.
It has some disadvantages when compared to easy_install. It does not use egg files, although it does preserve egg metadata. Some setuptools features are not yet supported, and some custom setup.py features won´t work.
The command comes before any options. The following commands are recognized:
- Show the help text.
- Create "bundles" which can be used by pip to install the group of Python packages in multiple places.
- Write the current list of installed packages to a requirements file, which can be used by pip to reinstall the same set of packages.
- Install packages.
- Unzip an individual package.
- Zip an individual package.
- Show summary of options.
- Show the version of the program.
- Be more verbose.
- Be less verbose; suppress unimportant output.
- Log file where a complete (maximum verbosity) record will be kept.
- Have pip use a proxy server to access sites. This can be specified using "user:[email protected]:port" notation. If the password is left out, pip will ask for it.
- Default action when a path already exists.Use this option more then one time to specify another action if a certain option is not available, choices: (s)witch, (i)gnore, (w)ipe, (b)ackup
- Set the timeout for connecting to download sites, in seconds. This defaults to 15 seconds if not given.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.