DESCRIPTIONpmdasystemtap is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from the Linux Systemtap dynamic tracing toolkit.
This implementation uses the stap(1) tool, which is a front-end to the Systemtap toolkit.
INSTALLATIONIn order to access performance data exported by Systemtap from with PCP, it is necessary to perform two configuration steps:
- Configure Systemtap probes, and verify them with stap(1). These should be produced in a format that is easily parsed, and then stored in the $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/systemtap/probes.stp file.
- Configure pmdasystemtap to extract the values from the text produced by stap. Two example probes are implemented in the default systemtap PMDA script - readdir and sync traces (see $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/systemtap/pmdasystemtap.pl for details).
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/systemtap # [ edit probes.stp, test /usr/bin/stap probes.stp ] # [ edit pmdasystemtap.pl ]
Once this is setup, you can access the names and values for the systemtap performance metrics by doing the following as root:
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/systemtap # ./Install
If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root:
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/systemtap # ./Remove
- probe configuration file for stap(1), run by pmdasystemtap
- installation script for the pmdasystemtap agent
- undo installation script for the pmdasystemtap agent
- default log file for error messages from pmdasystemtap