[-dvVhs] [-l logtype] [-p dir]
is a daemon that serves incoming connections from remote systems.
dnetd reads the file /etc/dnetd.conf to determine which daemons are run in response to which objects. See the man page for dnetd.conf(5) for more information on the format of this file.
dnetd can also run scripts or programs on the Linux system that match the TASK name on an object name. eg if the connection from VMS was "TASK=showproc" then the program "showproc" will be run and the output (stdout only) sent back to the calling process. Note that dnetd always converts the task name into lower case.
dnetd looks for it's scripts in three locations:
a) In the user's home directory (unless the -s switch was specified.
b) In the directory pointed to by the environment variable DNTASKDIR (if that variable exists when the daemon is started)
c) In /usr/local/decnet/tasks
dntaskd should be started at system boot time (after DECnet has been started) and must be run as root.
dntaskd reads the decnet.proxy(5) file to authenticate users who do not provide usernames when connecting.
- Don't fork and run the background. Use this for debugging.
- Verbose. The more of these there are the more verbose dnetd will be. Don't use more than one for normal operation because it will seriously impair performance.
- -h -?
- Displays help for using the command.
- Run in "secure" mode. This just prevents users from running scripts in their home directories. (so it's not really that secure!)
- -p <directory name>
- Specifies the default directory name to search for programs named in dnetd.conf(5). By default dnetd will look in the directory named by $(prefix)/sbin when it was compiled. This is /usr/local/sbin if you compiled from unmodified sources or /usr/sbin if you installed a binary distribution.
Set logging options. The following are available:
-lm Log to /dev/mono. (only useful if you have my mono monitor driver and a second monitor)
-le Log to stderr. Use this for debugging or testing combined with -d.
-ls Log to syslog(3). This is the default if no options are given.
Show the version of dnetd.