SYNOPSISdonkey [options] sequence seed
[option] sequence seed
This manual page documents briefly the donkey, and key commands. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has documentation in /usr/share/doc/donkey
donkey is an alternative for S/KEY's "key" command. The new feature that the original key doesn't have is print an entry for skeykeys as follows;
- kazu 0099 al02004 115d83956f1089b6 Apr 26,1995 22:13:27
This means that donkey is also an alternative for "keyinit". Since the entry is printed to stdout (not to /etc/skeykeys), you can easily sent it to a remote operator by e-mail (with a PGP signature or something). So it is possible to initiate S/KEY without loginging onto the console of the host.
A summary of options is included below.
- num specify the number of keys to be calculated.
choose a hash function - one of
(1) Calculate an One-Time-Password.Execute Donkey with a sequence number and a seed, then input your passphrase.
- % donkey 80 is12345 Enter passphrase : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx SOFT O SAW SWAB CON RODE
You can choose the hash function.
- % donkey 80 is12345 Enter passphrase : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx SOFT O SAW SWAB CON RODE %donkey -f md5 80 is12345 Enter passphrase : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LACK WIN ROSE ANNA STUN REEK
The default hash function is MD4 due to historical reasons.
(2) Calculate several One-Time-Passwords at once.Use the -n option.
- % donkey -n 10 80 is12345 Enter passphrase : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 71: WORE HELL CUB FAR DORA MALE 72: SAIL DAN DONE BEER DAYS MOS 73: PAN TONE THAT TOUT BURY EST 74: KEN ROAM HEAT NAN MEAN HEN 75: MINI MARS HASH BOTH SITU SING 76: TOW SHIN FLUE ARID AHOY NE 77: SLID LEEK NO TREE STOW BEY 78: RUDY WINE GIFT FUSS AGEE SUE 79: GELD THIN MAID THIN BUD TURF 80: SOFT O SAW SWAB CON RODE
Note that though "Enter passphrase" is printed out to the standard error stream, the One-Time-Passwords are written to the standard output stream, so you can redirect the output safely.
(3) Print an skeykeys entry.Use the -i option without argments. Then, enter the login name, the sequence number and the seed. Input your passphrase twice to get the entry.
- % donkey -i Enter login name [default kazu]: Enter sequence 1 to 999 [default 99]: Enter new seed [default ur18122]: Please choose passphrase between 8 and 256 characters. Enter passphrase : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Re-enter passphrase : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx kazu 0099 ur18122 fc5b023e684968ff Oct 02,1995 16:15:30 WINK SEAM GRAB ROAD HELL FEST
Things to do:
- Support other one time passwords such as OTP.
- Support other secure hash functions.
This program is developed by Kazuhiko Yamamoto <[email protected]>. This manual page was written by Fumitoshi UKAI <[email protected]>, based on the documentation of this program, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others).