git var ( -l | <variable> )
Prints a Git logical variable.
- Cause the logical variables to be listed. In addition, all the variables of the Git configuration file .git/config are listed as well. (However, the configuration variables listing functionality is deprecated in favor of git config -l.)
$ git var GIT_AUTHOR_IDENT Eric W. Biederman <[email protected]> 1121223278 -0600
- The author of a piece of code.
- The person who put a piece of code into Git.
- Text editor for use by Git commands. The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell when it is used. Examples: ~/bin/vi, $SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, "C:\Program Files\Vim\gvim.exe" --nofork. The order of preference is the $GIT_EDITOR environment variable, then core.editor configuration, then $VISUAL, then $EDITOR, and then the default chosen at compile time, which is usually vi.
- Text viewer for use by Git commands (e.g., less). The value is meant to be interpreted by the shell. The order of preference is the $GIT_PAGER environment variable, then core.pager configuration, then $PAGER, and then the default chosen at compile time (usually less).
Part of the git(1) suite