SYNOPSISutmpdump [options] [filename]
DESCRIPTIONutmpdump is a simple program to dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format, so they can be examined. utmpdump reads from stdin unless a filename is passed.
- -f, --follow
- Output appended data as the file grows.
- -o, --output file
- Write command output to file instead of standard output.
- -r, --reverse
- Undump, write back edited login information into the utmp or wtmp files.
- -V, --version
- Display version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Display help text and exit.
NOTESutmpdump can be useful in cases of corrupted utmp or wtmp entries. It can dump out utmp/wtmp to an ASCII file, which can then be edited to remove bogus entries, and reintegrated using:
- utmpdump -r < ascii_file > wtmp
But be warned, utmpdump was written for debugging purposes only.
BUGSYou may not use the -r option, as the format for the utmp/wtmp files strongly depends on the input format. This tool was not written for normal use, but for debugging only.
AVAILABILITYThe utmpdump command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive