SYNOPSISvos backup -id <volume name or ID>
[-cell <cell name>]
[-noauth] [-localauth] [-verbose]
[-encrypt] [-noresolve] [-help]
vos backup -i <volume name or ID> [-c <cell name>]
[-noa] [-l] [-v] [-e] [-nor] [-h]
DESCRIPTIONThe vos backup command clones the indicated read/write volume to create a backup version, placing it at the same site as the read/write version. The backup volume's name is the same as the read/write source's with the addition of the ".backup" extension. Its volume ID number is the one allocated for it in the Volume Location Database (VLDB) when the read/write source was created with the vos create command. If a backup version already exists, the new clone replaces it.
To create a backup version of multiple volumes, use the vos backupsys command.
- -id <volume name or ID>
- Specifies either the complete name or volume ID number of the read/write source volume.
- -cell <cell name>
- Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see vos(1).
- Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see vos(1).
- Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The vos command interpreter presents it to the Volume Server and Volume Location Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument or -noauth flag. For more details, see vos(1).
- Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear.
- Encrypts the command so that the operation's results are not transmitted across the network in clear text. This option is available in OpenAFS versions 1.4.11 or later and 1.5.60 or later.
- Shows all servers as IP addresses instead of the DNS name. This is very useful when the server address is registered as 127.0.0.1 or when dealing with multi-homed servers. This option is available in OpenAFS versions 1.4.8 or later and 1.5.35 or later.
- Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.
OUTPUTThe following message confirms that the command succeeded:
Created backup volume for I<volume name>
EXAMPLESThe following example creates a backup version of the volume "user.smith".
% vos backup user.smith Created backup volume for user.smith
PRIVILEGE REQUIREDThe issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine specified with the -server argument and on each database server machine. If the -localauth flag is included, the issuer must instead be logged on to a server machine as the local superuser "root".
COPYRIGHTIBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.
This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.