DESCRIPTIONXfm - the X file and application manager - has its own format to save the content of the application window, which is described in this file.
FORMATOne entry per line. Lines starting with a hash (#) and empty lines are ignored. Each line consists out of six fields, separated by colons (:). Backslashes and colons within those fields have to be escaped using backslashes.
LabelThe label printed below the icon in the application window is the first part.
DirectoryDirectory The second part is the directory the specified action is executed in. An empty string is treated as the $HOME-directory, which is also substituted for a leading tilde followed by a slash (~/).
If this line has the special drop_action LOAD, this is not the directory, but the next xfm file to display.
empty compatibility fieldThis field is only here for compatibility reasons. It has to be empty.
iconThe 4th field is the icon to show. Unless this field is empty, xfm will search in the pixmapPath and the bitmapPath for this file and use it as icon for this item. The icon has to be in XBM or in the XPM format.
push actionThis field (the 5th) contains the action to execute when the specified field is double-clicked or otherwise activated. Unless it is one of the special commands listed below, it is given as a whole to the shell. Any parts encapsulated in percent signs (%) are substituted with user input. Default values can be specified with two hyphens (--) within the token.
The special commands are:
- The directory field is interpreted as filename of a xfm file which replaces the current contents of the application window. If the directory is the special value XFM-DEVICES, the content of the application window are generated out of the information of the xfm_dev(5) file instead.
- The directory specified in the directory field is opened in a new file window.
- EDIT filename
- Start the default editor with the specified filename.
drop actionThis field (the 6th) contains the action to execute if some files are dragged from the file window and dropped into this item. The command is given to a shell, and the files are given as arguments.
EXAMPLESStart a xterm with $HOME-directory as current directory. The icon is xterm.xpm. Nothing can be dragged here.
Open the special menu for showing mountable devices:
Open a file window with the home directory:
Open /floppy in a new file window:
Execute an xterm with a user specified command:
execute::::xterm -e %command--watch date%:
Grab a screenshot when pushed, show drag&dropped images with xli:
picture::::import `date +\%Y\%m\%d\%M\%H\%S.png`:xli "[email protected]"
Process dropped files with transfig:
transfig:::app.xpm::transfig -L %Language\:--eepic% "[email protected]"
- Unless otherwise specified in the X resources, this is the file opened when Xfm starts.
- Unless otherwise specified in the X resources, this file is opened when the previous one fails.