unsigned short *unknown_length,
unsigned char **unknown_value);
This function is obsolete and exists for compatibility with previous releases. It is replaced by XmStringGetNextTriple. XmStringGetNextComponent returns the type and value of the next component in the compound string identified by context. Components are returned one at a time. On return, only some output parameters will be valid; which ones can be determined by examining the returned component type. The following table describes the valid returns for each component type.
Note that several components produce a return value of XmSTRING_COMPONENT_UNKNOWN. The data returned by these components is returned in the unknown_tag, unknown_length, and unknown_value fields. This apparent inconsistency is designed to accommodate older applications that may not be equipped to handle the newer component types of Motif version 2.0 and beyond. Consequently, the use of this procedure is not recommended. Instead, use the XmStringGetNextTriple procedure, which provides all the functionality of XmStringGetNextComponent, and is fully compatible with the newer component types.
If the function return value is XmSTRING_COMPONENT_LOCALE_TEXT or XmSTRING_COMPONENT_TEXT, the the function allocates space to hold the returned text. If the function return value is XmSTRING_COMPONENT_FONTLIST_ELEMENT_TAG, or XmSTRING_COMPONENT_TAG, then the function allocates space to hold the returned tag. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XtFree.
- Specifies the string context structure that was allocated by the XmStringInitContext function.
- Specifies a pointer to a NULL terminated string.
- Specifies a pointer to the tag component associated with the text. The value XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG identifies a locale text segment.
- Specifies a pointer to the direction of the text.
- Specifies a pointer to the tag of an unknown component.
- Specifies a pointer to the length of an unknown component.
- Specifies a pointer to the value of an unknown component.
Returns the type of component found. Refer to the XmStringComponentType(3) reference page for a list of component types.