SYNOPSIS$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/simple/pmdasimple [-d domain] [-i port] [-l logfile] [-p] [-u socket] [-U username]
DESCRIPTIONpmdasimple is a simple Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports a small number of synthetic performance metrics.
The simple PMDA is shipped as source code and is designed to be an aid for PMDA developers. In terms of code size and features, it is more complex than the trivial PMDA, about the same as the txmon PMDA and less complex than the sample PMDA. The source for the simple PMDA is a good template from which production, customized PMDAs can be developed.
A brief description of the pmdasimple command line options follows:
- It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts.
- Expect PMCD to connect to pmdasimple on the specified TCP/IP port. port may be a port number or port name.
- Location of the log file. By default, a log file named simple.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdasimple is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead.
- Expect PMCD to create a pipe and the connection to pmdasimple is via standard input and standard output. This is the default connection mode.
- Expect PMCD to connect to pmdasimple on the Unix domain socket named socket.
- User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default.
At most one of the options -i, -p and -u may be specified.
INSTALLATIONIf you want access the names, help text and values for the simple performance metrics, do the following as root:
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/simple # ./Install
If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root:
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/simple # ./Remove
pmdasimple is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed.
- command line options used to launch pmdasimple
- default help text file for the simple metrics
- installation script for the pmdasimple agent
- undo installation script for the pmdasimple agent
configuration file for the dynamic instance domain that
performance metric. For a description, refer to the
help text file, or run the command
$ pminfo -T simple.now
- The DSO version of the PMDA. The same source is used to create both the DSO and the daemon versions of the simple PMDA, and one or the other may be installed as part of the dialog in the Install script.
- default log file for error messages and other information from pmdasimple